Destiny Torres
Executive Editor 

Stress, a photo illustration by Lauren Hoffman|The Collegian

For most students, college is viewed as a time of liberation, a time to find themselves and learn what they want to do with the rest of their lives. But for others, college is filled with the existential fear of how they’ll get through the semester in one piece.

The mounting stress

Being a college student can be stressful, which is a fact that most students can attest to.

Between having to go to classes, doing homework and juggling a job; most students face some sort of emotional turmoil in one way or another.

“I don’t have time for myself,” Isabelle Roach, an early education major, said. “I go to classes, spend hours doing homework and then immediately have to leave to go to my full-time job waitressing.”

According to Roach, she typically spends anywhere between three to four hours a night on some sort of assignment for class.

Exhausting and annoying

“It’s exhausting,” Roach said. “I can’t remember the last time I had a day off for just me. I recently went on a trip with a friend and had to ignore her to do my assignments, which didn’t make the trip enjoyable for either of us.”

A recent study done by the Mayo Clinic revealed that one out of three college students deal with significant depression or anxiety.

Crushing dreams

“I had to drop out of my dream college and come home,” A student who wanted to stay anonymous

said.

“On top of the stress of classes, leaving home made my already bad anxiety grow tenfold. I wasn’t leaving my dorm to go to classes, didn’t make any friends and ended up in a really dark place mentally.”

Loss of Function

In the same study done by Mayo Clinic, it revealed that 73% of students report feeling so hopeless that they are unable to function.

“I realized that it wasn’t healthy,” The anonymous student said. “Especially when I attempted to take my own life because suddenly the way I imagined the rest of my life wasn’t happening and I was stuck going to the same community college as most of my high school friends.”

The student says they felt like they were going backwards in life.

Hope in the future

But there is hope for a better future and resources for students who are struggling with their mental well being while at college.

Many colleges have started to offer on site counseling following the Covid-19 Pandemic. At Lorain County Community College, students, staff and faculty have access to the Advocacy Resource Center.

The ARC, as its more commonly called offers 24/7 assistance with emotional stress management through their on call mental health hot lines, as well as on site help.

According to ARC representative and information support specialist Cathy Shaw, “the arc first began in 1988 with the belief of helping people in all sorts of situations, something that is still going on today.”

Their hours are Monday to Fridays 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. located in the first floor of the Bass Library. For more information about counseling and other resources visit https://www.lorainccc.edu/support-services/arc/.

-30-