Anthony Leyva
A Correspondent

History moves forward, but war never changes. Throughout time man has sought dominion over man. The ensuing effect has brought about a vicious cycle of war and peace.
Within a century, America has participated in various wars and skirmishes. The most devastating instances of war were WWI, WWII, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, the Cold War, and the war in the Middle East.
Now after a reprieve from the most severe effects of war, America is facing another challenging situation, this time in Europe. The war began
On Feb. 24, Russian President Vladimir Putin began his invasion of the former Soviet Union country, Ukraine, in an attempt to overthrow their President Volodymyr Zelensky and reclaim Ukraine as a Russian satellite state.
On the day of the invasion, Putin stated, “Whoever would try to stop us and further create threats to our country, to our people, should know that Russia’s response will be immediate and lead to such consequences that [the world] has never faced in its history. We are ready for any outcome.” This subtle threat hits home to NATO and its allies, who are seeking to expand their influence in Ukraine.
As we near the 80-year mark since the end of WWII, Putin’s threat has caused many to fear a third world war. Students at Lorain County Community College are amongst those concerned and anxious of the threat.

Today we are more connected than ever.
Thanks to social media, it is easy to receive up-to-date news on current events. Some like Payon Regal, a student at LCCC, often come across memes chronicling current events.
Regal explains, “I was on Tik-Tok one night and saw what happened, but I didn’t think it was real. It’s shocking and upsetting to see everything that’s happening in the media. It just doesn’t seem real.” The surreal and unimaginable thought of war in today’s world is a common feeling among many young LCCC students.
For some students between classes, work, and personal time staying informed can be difficult. The conflict is a dynamic and elaborate situation.
Marissa Brigger, a Business Management major at LCCC, first heard about the situation from a friend on a phone call. Brigger followed the conflict intently for the first week, however; she said, “I’m not following the situation as much as I was early on, but I should because it’s important to stay informed.”
Furthermore, Brigger says she doesn’t blame the citizens of Russia but instead blames Putin. “Putin is acting like a bully to other countries.”

A war no one wants
The threat of the situation expanding into a global war is a fear of many individuals. An anonymous veteran student stated, “Obviously things have been tense for a while, we’ve had small skirmishes but nothing this big. I think things could potentially escalate, but it would take a lot to get there.”
The veteran was extremely concerned with the military actions taken by the Russian government. They would go on to say they hope that the soldiers would realize how horrible the invasion is. “Some of them joined to hurt people, but others joined to defend their country, not all of them are bad. I would hope Russian troops would know right from wrong.”
This idea coincides with videos of Russian soldiers who have defected or surrendered in Ukraine. Many of which state that their orders were vague and that they too want the invasion to end.
Some are skeptical of global war, however.
Kyle Offutt, a Computer Maintenance major at LCCC, says, “Everyone was expecting that Ukraine would fall within a week but obviously it hasn’t happened.”
Offutt has faith that Ukraine will be able to stave off the Russian occupation, at least for the time being.
Offutt does not disregard the threat of a global war, however. He explains, “It’s the nuclear threat that prevents us from getting involved directly.” Offutt believes if Russia were to succeed it may only be the beginning of their expansionary conquest.

Not sure how to cope
Of the students interviewed, should the situation escalate, many said it would be difficult to manage finances and cope with a global war.
Our anonymous source points out, “If the issues with the supply chain escalate, most people won’t know how to provide for themselves.” They also emphasized that stress management would be key to keeping a level head in such difficult times.
Marissa Brigger explains, “When I was young I was very active in scouts and I have some basic skills to help prepare me, my family is also well prepared. If there is something I can do to help others as well, that is something I would do.”

-30-