Anthony LaRosa
Staff Writer

“I have definitely seen very dedicated students over the years, but I don’t know if I’ve had any as dedicated as Felicia,” Mollie Chambers, professor of English at LCCC, said.

On the night of Nov.10, Lorain resident and student at LCCC, Felicia Maxwell, was admitted into St. John Medical Center in Westlake in order to give birth to her fourth child. Although her baby was arriving four weeks early, this was the finale to her pregnancy that she was nursing throughout the entire first semester.

Chambers said, “She even had some extra appointments that would overlap with class, so even sometimes she would be in a waiting room, in class, waiting to be called into her appointment.”

After spending the night in the hospital, Maxwell began her day as she normally would, but this time in the hospital bed.

“I logged into Zoom as normal for school, and as soon as I logged into English 161, it was baby time,” Maxwell said.

Shortly after, a little boy named Brycen Slaven was born.

But, even after bringing another life into the world, Maxwell remained determined to her education, completing and turning in her paper on time for English 161.

“There she was with a two-day old baby, submitting her paper, and I was just really amazed with her dedication and her willingness to keep going when she could have really easily said ‘well I can’t do it because I just had a baby,” Chambers said.

Maxwell’s dedication to her education goes back to when she had her first daughter in 2016.

“I started school when I had my first daughter, and I dropped out because it got hard and life happened. I decided that this time, I was not going to make excuses because that’s pretty much what it was after my first daughter. I was ready to start a career,” Maxwell continued, “I knew if I stopped, I would just drop out, so I persevered.”

Maxwell already began her assignment before having the baby, and in her mind, she was always going to finish it. She said, “If I stopped, it just would have never gotten done.”

As Maxwell works toward majoring in social work, she is also working seven days a week, and 12 hours a day, as a supervisor at Amazon, in order to provide a better future for her four children.

“I’m a single mother, and being a single mother is already a struggle. My current job pays well but it’s a lot of wear and tear. I want to work smarter and not harder, and if I want to sit behind a desk, I have to go to school,” Maxwell said.

Chambers said, “I kept emailing her and telling her I was so impressed. She really just went along like it wasn’t a big deal and that was more impressive to me. I have never seen anything like Felicia has been able to do.” Chambers was able to share the news of Maxwell’s baby boy to the class the following week because only seven days after giving birth, she was back in class.

“She has a dedication that is unmatched. I really think we can all learn a lot about dedication by the decisions Felicia made throughout the course. What a great example she is for all of us,” Chambers said. “I’m really proud of her and thankful to have her as a student.”