Taylor Anderson, Courtney Crell, Anthony LaRosa, Dylan Rice and Alyssa Watson
JRNM-151 students

A row of campaign signs in Lorain. Photo: Harleyann McQuaid

Brian Yarosh, a North Ridgeville resident, voted for President Donald Trump because the incumbent “is different from every other politician.” Like Yarosh, 76,719 (50 percent) Lorain County residents endorsed Trump as opposed to 72,792 (48 percent) residents who supported former Vice President Joe Biden in the Nov. 3 election, according to unofficial results published by Lorain County Board of Elections.
Lorain County flipped to red in this election. In the past two presidential elections, Lorain County has been blue. In the 2016 presidential election, Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton collected 66,949 (47.3 percent) votes whereas Trump received 66,818 (47.2 percent) votes. In 2012, incumbent Barack Obama easily won the county by garnering 81,464 (57 percent) votes against his Republican challenger Mitt Romney who received 59,405 (41 percent) votes.
This political party flip did not surprise Yarosh. “Seeing all the signs around the county, it seems like it has been more pro Trump,” Yarosh said.
“I liked that he wasn’t a career politician. As brash and arrogant as he can come off sometimes, I didn’t think he was in the pockets of the elites,” Yarosh said, “He says what he feels and he gets stuff done.”
Matthew Rasmussen, an Oberlin native who voted for Biden, said he was disappointed by the election outcome in Lorain County as well as in the state. “I do not love Biden. I think he is not the best things for this country and I certainly disagree with some of his policies, I wish he was more progressive. However, he is leagues ahead of Trump.”
Lorain resident Leah Aulisio-Sharpe agreed saying, “I am absolutely not surprised by the results of the election so far.” Nonetheless, she voted for Biden because she felt “morally obligated.”
Christina Dempsey, of North Ridgeville, expressed similar views.
“We have a president who thrives in chaos,” Dempsey, a Biden supporter, said. “Trump doesn’t have the leadership we need to overcome this critical moment in history and that is scary. Biden comes to the table with the qualities that I want my children to see in a leader.”
But, Ronald Miller, a has a different view. The Sheffield Township resident said he voted for Trump “because I like the way the country is run by him in terms of taxes and jobs.” Miller added his party loyalty didn’t influence his decision. “I vote for the person I think is best for the job regardless of party.”
Courtney Koler, another Sheffield Township resident, agreed. Koler said she supported Trump “because he has the courage to stand up for Americans, and also because of his many accomplishments with the First Step Act and jobs prior to COVID-19.”
However, not everyone voted for either of these candidates.
Rich Hawkins, a long-time Republican, changed his vote to Independent this year. “I feel very disenfranchised right now,” Hawkins said. He voted for Jo Jorgenson in hopes of a more controlled government. Jorgenson had stated that “the older system isn’t working anymore” Americans need smaller government.
London Dejarnette, an Oberlin resident, is a Biden supporter. “Trump has proven in the last four years, especially this last year, that he is unfit to represent all Americans,”  Dejarnette said, noting they are concerned because Amy Coney Barrette, Trump’s nominee to the Supreme Court, had threatened to take away health care rights, access to abortion care and the rights of LGBTQ and the of sexual assault.
Sydney Broucek, of Avon, said she was not surprised that Trump won the county. She said Lorain County has a large margin of white upper-middle class residents that voted for him.
Likewise, David Corrigall, a North Ridgeville resident and a Trump supporter, said he was not surprised by the election outcome because Trump appeals more to the working class.
Meanwhile, Sofia Intagliata, a first-time voter, was surprised especially because the county voted blue in the two previous elections. “I thought Biden was going to win Lorain [County],” the Avon resident said.
Both Broucek and Intagliata supported Biden because they didn’t like how Trump has run his presidency. “I did not like how the past four years have been,” said Broucek. Broucek specifically she does not agree with Trump’s immigration policies while Intagliata “did not like the way Trump handled the coronavirus pandemic.”
Intagliata also added that she agreed with Biden’s stance on student loans as she is about to join a college.
Corrigall, a Trump voter, said that he voted for Trump because “I feel like we need a strong president.” Corrigall predicted that Trump would get back up if he gets knocked down. Biden will stay down.”

-30-