Josefa Collazo
JRNM 151

It can be a challenge for students to take college classes and look fashionable at the same time. Valerie Luciano, student resource advocate in AmeriCorps and cooperator of the Lorain County Community College Career Closet, has recognized this issue and feels a passion for students to want to feel their best even with their low budgets. 

Luciano became the manager of the LCCC Career Closet because, “as an AmeriCorps, I took it on myself to be a part of it. Anything that can benefit the students,” said Luciano

About the Career Closet

The LCCC Career Closet is an association where clothing from other stores is donated and re-used by students and alumni of the school to provide appropriate clothing for job interviews.

Luciano believes that, “It’s great for LCCC because there’s a need here. It’s definitely something a college should do.” Students can call in and make an appointment with Luciano. She assists them at the Career Closet where they can take two outfits for free and keep them for the whole semester. Although the business has not opened yet, Luciano said, “since I’ve started the collections it’s been very successful. I get calls from stores that say they want to donate clothes already.”

Student Resource Advocate in AmeriCorps and Cooperator of the LCCC Career Closet Valerie Luciano inspecting an outfit at the Career Closet located in the Commodore Cupboard.
                                    Oscar Rosado | The Collegian

When it will be ready

Luciano plans to officially open the Career Closet on Apr. 8 at the Commodore Cupboard, BU113. It will be linked with Career Services. In one’s visit to the Career Closet, the individual will have a Linked In Profile created for them for the purpose of, as she puts it, “boosting these college students’ confidence.” 

Luciano is also a thrifter at heart and loves purchasing clothes at the most affordable price. “I even have a few of my mom’s friend’s clothes,” she said. Luciano believes that re-using clothing, “sparks creativity. If we can re-use clothes, what other things can we re-use to help?”

Words from students

Although the closet has not officially opened yet, students Peyton Kellick and Rylie Spillman responded to this idea with positivity. 

“I like it. It’s really cool. It’s beneficial because appearance is a big part of a first impression,” Kellick said. Kellick also believes that with this new outlet, “it’ll promote confidence in them. I think it will go a long way.” 

“I think that’s smart actually. There are a few students who have to dress in work apparel but do not have what is required,” said Spillman.

Both believe that this is a great idea and could help many students and, as Spillman said, “it’s recycling.”