Special to The Collegian

Lorain County Community College has decided to cancel its spring commencement ceremony originally scheduled for May 16, in light of the rapidly evolving coronavirus COVID-19 situation.

No date has been set to reschedule the College’s 56th commencement ceremony.

“It is with a heavy heart that I make this announcement, as I know that many students were planning to participate and celebrate their accomplishments with family and friends that day,” said LCCC President Marcia Ballinger, Ph.D., in a statement.

Anyone on track to graduate is not in any way impacted by the decision to cancel the ceremony, she noted. Students will still receive their diploma by mail if all graduation requirements are successfully fulfilled. 

            “I understand how devastating this announcement is, as our students have put in an enormous amount of effort and dedication into achieving this milestone,” Ballinger said.  “Graduates, please know that your accomplishments will not go unnoticed. Your ability to persevere throughout this is simply remarkable. I admire each and every one of you and am proud that you will become part of the LCCC alumni family.” 

For updates please visit www.lorainccc.edu/coronavirus