Prayer breakfast meeting at the Sage n Seed restaurant.               Photo submitted by Ron Jantz

Oscar Rosado
Editor-in-Chief

“Today’s confined mindset is unity. Can we unify with the one truth we all believe?,” said Adult Outreach Associative of LCCC, Kenny Santiago Marrero, regarding a prayer breakfast held at the Sage n Seed restaurant on campus in the Ben and Jane Norton Culinary Center on Mon Feb. 10. 

“It’s something I hope inspires monthly unification of pastors around the region,” said Marrero, who is also an LCCC graduate, and local actor.

Pastors from Lorain, Amherst, Bay Village, Avon Lake, Elyria, Cleveland among other places came to the breakfast.

“I got excited, I was like, ‘oh my gosh I get to use my skills’ with this. They were a gift from God. Why not a much more valuable resource to unify the body of Christ here on campus that’s what we did today, we ate breakfast we networked, we shared, but it all started first with prayer and evolved into a unity,” said Marrero. “It was a beautiful unity.”

There were at least 50 groups present at the event, according to Marrero who helped set up the event.

“Walls coming down”

“Today was special. I saw walls coming down, religious barriers being pushed to the side for the common good which is unity and the care and love for students, and the region,” said Marrero. “Our young people, our young leaders, they need prayer and support, we can’t just talk about, can’t just pray about it, we gotta be about it. So a lot of today was the unity of those boots on the grounds kind of faith inspired men and women that were all here today, it was pretty cool.”

Marrero added, “Getting the pleasure of partnering with Ms. Cindy Kushner, Ms. Liz Torres, and Kenneth Glynn, and being a part of that was pretty cool.”

Marrero, who had invited Lorain pastors to the event, also brought Evangelist, David Nico Hill to campus to the Prayer Breakfast, who had shared his background.

Story of Nico the Dragon

Hill is an evangelist, who has been for eight years. He is part of God’s Soldier Ministries where he reaches out to juvenile halls, prison walls, and neighboring churches.

Hill grew up with a family background that brought about many troubles, such as child abuse, and generational curses. After these troubles, he decided to go on his own where he eventually found martial arts.

“It became what I breathe and what I ate,” said Hill.

Hill has been a very accomplished martial artist. He’s done movies such as Bloodsport 2, Fists of Iron, A Dangerous Place, among a total of over 30 other movies throughout the world. He was involved in many fighting matches, many which were cage matches. Eventually, he became known as ‘Nico the Dragon.’ 

“To live that name out in LaLa land, especially in movies, I was always hiding I was beaten. I was using martial arts as a barrier to safety,” said Hill.

He eventually dabbled in drugs, and alcohol. His mother eventually passed due to overdose, to which Hill never got to say goodbye, to which after, he had disappeared and went into the dark. 

Eventually, he was reminded of his true identity. He couldn’t live with his current life, and had dedicated his life to Christianity. God wrote poetry in his heart, he noted. “In the tangible world, I was spiritually dead. But in the spiritual world, he was training me for ministry,” said Hill.

Now Hill has one of the most effective, transformative, disruptive, ministries for salvation and deliverance in the country and internationally. His family has rededicated to Christianity, and is in Northeast Ohio to preach. He was recently ordained a year ago.

Dedicated to Michael T. George

“This is for heart of the people here in Northeast Ohio, Lorain, Avon, Elyria, Cleveland. I just wanted to dedicate this to Michael T. George, whom God decided to take home early due to leukemia,” said Hill.

Michael T. George was the first child with Down syndrome to be enrolled in St. Edward Catholic High School. They developed a program around kids with special needs called the St. Andre’s Scholars program which seeks to make a quality catholic education available for students with cognitive disabilities at St. Edward High School.

“If that young man taking chemo could laugh and dance… What is our excuse?” said Hill. He added, “I thought I had courage with my background as an MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) fighter compared to the 16 year old young man getting treatment, waking up from an induced coma. Until the last day of his life.”

Hill has enjoyed his eight years of serving as an evangelist and doesn’t plan to stop anytime soon.

“It’s been a real journey [being an evangelist]. I never wanted more than a roof over my head, and food in my stomach, and I was allowed to reach people holding onto unforgiveness, murderers, and young men and women in retention houses,” said Hill.

Recently, Hill was inducted into the bare knuckles underground hall of fame, at the martial arts museum at Burbank, CA.

Now, Hill sheds away the name ‘Nico the Dragon’ and now goes by his new alias, ‘David the Dragon Slayer.’