Weliton DeOliveira
JRMN 151

“I know that cell phones can be a distraction, that’s why sometimes I put my phone away in a drawer while I’m doing homework,” said A. Zvaigzne from North Ridgeville. She added, “According to my phone stats, I am spending an average of 3.5 hours a week online.” That’s a little over the average of 3.42 hours a day that Americans spend online, according to MIT Technology Review.

Another student, C. Bentley from Elyria knows it well too, as he said, “If I also count the time that I’m listening to music while I’m sleeping, I am usually online almost 24 hours a day.” Bentley said that he started using a radio so he can have something on the background while doing homework, so he can put the phone away and get the work done.

People usually don’t pay much attention to it because they think it is an inoffensive thing, when asked if the internet affects their life and/or school work, most of them answered “no”, but when asked if they check on their phones while performing school or work tasks, all of them answered “yes.”

Technology expanding

The 21st century will be marked as the booming of technology, ever since the iPhone was introduced in 2007. Technology has expanded in a fast and some may even say scary way. The internet has reached unimaginable speeds, and today almost everything is connected to the internet, from toasters to cars, and even clothes. 

With it, the internet also brought one thing that people usually prefer not to talk about. In their minds it is a normal thing, but in reality it is becoming a concern for many organizations, governments and parents that are worried about the amount of time their children spend online. This is the “Internet Addiction.”

Who are most vulnerable

Teenagers are the most vulnerable to social media and internet addictions, since their presence online by far exceeds any other age group. Many cellphone manufacturers started including information on the percentage and amount of data someone spends on each App. Apple went one step further and now started sending notifications on the average amount of time you spend online every day.

Easily accessed

Today, many sources of entertainment like Netflix, Hulu and many other apps, can easily be accessed on the go, on tablets, laptops and cellphones. Social media, like Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and many others, also play a big role on the amount of time people spend online.

• Approximately 3.48 billion people (roughly 45 percent of the world’s population) use social media.
  • Some teenagers spend up to nine hours every day on social media.
  • Teenagers who spend five hours a day on their phones are twice more likely to show depressive symptoms.
  • It is estimated, more than 210 million people suffer from internet and social media addictions.
  • Approximately 71 percent of people sleep with or next to their phone every night.
  • Approximately 10 percent of teens check their phones more than ten times per night.

Source: Famemass.com