Coach Jim Powers with his award. Quentin Pardon | The Collegian

Quentin Pardon
Assistant Editor

“My kids actually told me I had won the award,” said Jim Powers, Central Region Men’s Coach of the Year. “I had no idea I had won until my kids started screaming coach you won”. Powers received the trophy at the team banquet before the NJCAA Div.3 Championship meet and the Coaches Association President handed me the award. “It was a total surprise for me but I was greatly appreciative of it. I don’t know how much I deserved it but I appreciate deeply.”

“The kids did all the work. All I did was make sure they were there,” said Powers. The men’s team had won the Div.3 Regional Championship against Columbus State and the sixth ranked women team won an invitational earlier this year at the Finger Lakes Community College Invitational, which is the first time ever the women’s team had won an invitational here. “As far as the year went on, we had a special year. A lot of milestones were accomplished,” he continued. LCCC had five runners make All-Region. Three were women (Kelsey Gannon, Samantha Glass and Mackenzie Glass) and two were men (Charlie Yonts and Henry Haas); the most LC had ever produced off of one season. 

“We also had one All-American, Kelsey Gannon, who took 15th at nationals,” said Powers. Earlier this past season, Gannon was selected as the Division III Runner of the Week in just the second race of her career.  

Due to hard work of the team

Powers said, “It’s due to the hard work of the team. It’s not all me. The team won the award but ultimately they just gave it to me.”  

“Hopefully we’ll have a good group back for next year. I had already talked to some high schoolers who are interested for the next season. This year was phenomenal and I hope for more in the future.”