Overview of the manufacturing class at work with their projects Angela Andujar | The Collegian

By JRNM 221

With nearly 300 thousand machines being imported into the United States on a yearly basis, there are “not enough young people” training in the engineering field according to Tony Trifiletti, instructor of TECN 131. “If young people would realize they could get a job after this, the more willing they would be to take this course.” 

Workers in the engineering field are often sent to LCCC to reeducate themselves for better positions in their existing lines of work. Classes offered here at LCCC even help laid-off and dislocated workers earn experience in engineering with upwards of 90 percent of them being placed in jobs in the field after completing technical programs here on campus. The class requires a prerequisite for reading blueprints and mathematics.

TECN 131, Manufacturing Processes I, is one of many technical training classes that can lead into CNC programming, engineering or technical specialty careers. With classes made up of people ranging from the ages of 18 to 60, there is nearly an even split of students just entering this field and others who already have jobs in this field.

Digital fabrication major Eric Shermak said since day one, the class is working on a miniature vice grip. He said half the semester is focused on making the project. About an hour is used to learn new terminology during class, and then about an hour and a half is given to work on the project. The class gathers Mondays and Wednesdays to work on it.

“Creating something out of nothing

“I’m creating something out of nothing. How can I not love it?” said manufacturing student Scott Scarvelli. Scarvelli is currently working full-time at Spectre industry and makes his own tools for work. “With this craft, I can honestly make whatever tool I need for any situation. Any skill you can use day to day is something you want to make use of and take advantage of.” Before attending LCCC, Scott was involved with the Akron University mechanical program. “I found it easier to learn here than at Akron. The class size at LC compared to Akron is way more suitable for me. I have more one on one interactions with my teacher and it make class and the experience more enjoyable.”

Applied mechanics major, Louis Gerard, went to Baldwin Wallace for mechanical engineering but transferred when he came to LCCC. While working on the project of making a miniature vice grip, Gerard said it is purely up to the students if they want to work in groups. “Everyone’s doing the same thing, and there are not a lot of machines to do it,” said Gerard. “The project is not hard, but it is very hands on, which is what I like about the course,” and then added, “I can’t fall asleep, I have to make sure to stop the machine at a certain point,” said Gerard.

Student worker needed

A student worker is needed to help at CNC and manual machine shop labs. There will be very flexible hours any time between 11:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. Mon-Thu. The kind of work to expect will be general cleaning, prepping for student’s projects, organizing the lab, and cutting stock for class projects. Those interested can contact Phil Hashier. Inquiries can also leave info at main office at the Advanced Technologies building. If interested, please call 440-366-7018.

JRNM students involved were:

Angela Andujar, Jayne Giese, Quentin Pardon, and Oscar Rosado