Collins holding his award Jayne Giese | The Collegian

Jayne Giese
Staff Writer 

It came as a surprise to Kenneth Collins, director of Campus Security at Lorain County Community College, when he heard he was nominated for Administrator of the year.  “I feel very honored that I was nominated, I had no idea I was even thought of for the award.  The award ceremonies actually take place during the 48-hour Ohio CIT training conference,” said Collins.

The Ohio WW conference was held in Columbus on Oct. 18, 2019, where they went through training courses to help law enforcement in Ohio have a better understanding of how to help people in a crisis. “The program trains officers from all over Ohio on how to help people suffering with a mental illness like bipolar disorder, depression, anxiety, and any other mental health illness. The biggest training we go through is how to help people with a drug addiction.  We want to take every step possible to try and get someone with a drug problem help rather than just throwing them in jail,” Collins said. 

Collins has been working in security with LCCC for 20 years.  “I started as a part-time security officer here on campus and did the partnership with Youngstown state.  I graduated with my bachelors in criminal justice and social work,” said Collins.

Now as the director of Campus Security, Collins wants all LCCC students and faculty to know that campus security is here to help anyone at anytime.  “I want everyone on campus to know that our campus security is here to help with anything.  Nothing is too big or too small for us.  We are partnered with Women’s Link here on campus and we take everything seriously.  Even if a student just needs help finding their way around the college, it is our job to ensure everyone’s safety and comfort,” Collins said. 

The campus security is located at the LCCC Library/Community Resource Center, room LC 106.  The security office is open 24 hours, seven days a week.  They can be reached by phone at (800) 995-5222 or via fax (440) 366-4053.