Deric Nichols
JRNM 151

The Commodore volleyball team fell short of their goal last season as they were defeated by Columbus State with a score of 3-0 recently This season was a different story as the team improved its overall and conference record. The 2017-2018 season left a bad taste in some of our mouths due to their 4-12 conference record but that didn’t stop them from improving their record and competing for a Region XII Division III Championship. 

This season, the Lady Commodores were able to improve their record to 20-10 overall and 10-6 in conference, landing them in fifth place in the OCCAC. Former player and defensive specialist, Mckenzie Zauner was excited to see her old team play this season. Zauner said, “I love supporting the team, it’s cool to see how well they are doing and I’m proud of them.” She had high expectations for the team this season and they did not disappoint her. Zauner misses being out there with the team, she says, “I loved my overall experience. Being apart of the team allowed me to make awesome friends while playing the sport I have a passion for. I love all the coaches too.” 

The team has a student who was unable to play this year but is still an important part of the squad. Tanea McCord has the same feelings towards the team as Zauner when she says, “The team has really impacted my life through the new friendships that were made and through the constant support each player gives, even though I couldn’t be on the court playing with them during games, they never made me feel excluded.” This type of attitude kept the young ladies hopes alive as they went on to defeat Columbus State for the first time in three years. “It was a major goal of ours,” said McCord. 

After defeating Columbus State in the Region XII Division Semifinal this season, they would end up losing to Owens Community College in the Championship game. The Commodores end their season with an improved and very impressive record hoping to take over the conference next year and add something to the trophy case.