Kerri Klatt
Editor-in-Chief

The Collegian has won six awards  in the 2018 Excellence in Journalism contest organized by Press Club of Cleveland.
The awards recognized articles that were written during the 2017 calendar year. Six student journalists and Collegian staff members took awards, which represented the best in journalism throughout the state of Ohio. The awards banquet was held at The House of Blues on June 1.

Logan Mencke, editor-in-chief of The Collegian from August 2017 until May 2018, won for Best Online Report as well as Best Print Feature Story for the student run media for a two-year school. The article that was recognized, “No ‘right’ turn on campus”, created mixed feelings for Mencke. “I’m proud that my article brought more recognition to LCCC,” said Mencke, “but I also feel I was capable of so much more.”

Mencke took first place for the Best Print Feature Story and second place for the Best Online Report. The Collegian’s staff are LCCC students who often have full-time jobs while working at The Collegian. Which was the case for Mencke. “When I was editor-in-chief,” he said, “I had a full-time job where I worked an average of 50-55 hours a week.”

Matt Gergely and Alejandra Maria Rey, two journalism students, took first place for the article, “Hunger-Free LCCC college (campus) launches campaign against hunger insecurity”. This article was categorized as the Best Print Newspaper for student run media at a two-year school. Rey was excited to be recognized amongst mentors. “The event was full of interesting and inspiring people,” said Rey, “It is amazing to see that what we are working on is being recognized by people who have done this for years.” Rey is an international student from Bucaramanga, Columbia. “I would like to keep going with this career path,” said Rey, “Because the truth can be uncomfortable for some, but it is necessary.”

Krisitn Hohman, former editor-in-chief from March 2016 until April 2017, won second place for her article titled “Coping with poverty”. The article was recognized in the Best Print Feature Story category. “I have been a part of winning eight Press Club Awards since I have started at The Collegian,” said Hohman. She had won two awards at this year’s Press Club event. The award recognized at The Collegian as well as an award while presently working at The Chronicle Telegram. “The recognition has helped motivate me to continue to work hard to become a better writer and reporter,” said Hohman. “I hope it continues to encourage me both journalistically and ethically while I finish off my degree and search for employment,” She said.

Mark Perez-Krywany, sports editor, was also recognized for the article titled “11 Commodores grab OCCAC All-Academic Team honors”. This story took second place for the Best Print Sports Story.

Kerri Klatt, staff writer for The Collegian in spring and fall 2017, placed first in the category of Best Online Report. Klatt’s winning article was titled “Opioid crisis hits home”.

-30-