Mark Perez-Krywany

Sports Editor

On March 28, 2018, cross country runner for Lorain County Community College Phillip Miranda completed one of goals in life, which is being officially accepted at the West Point Military Academy.

Roughly 13,000 men and women apply for West Point (Army) per year and Miranda is apart of the 8.5 percent of applicants who are accepted to a prestigious military academy.

“I was hugely relieved when I was accepted,” Miranda said via email. “I’d been waiting with crossed fingers for a while.”

The NJCAA (National Junior College Athletic Association) gave him the Academic All-Academic honors, because he was able to maintain a 4.0 GPA while running for the Commodores.

His cross country coach Jim Powers was ecstatic after he was notified that Miranda was admitted.

“It’s fantastic,” Powers said. “It’s a testament to his hard work and his dedication.”

Powers played a role in helping Miranda go through the evaluation process. For example, he recorded the physical evaluations on video after the season. Some of the requirements in the physical evaluation involved exercises like push-ups per minute, distance running and other exercises.   

“I think he’s ready [for West Point],” Powers said about Miranda. “His grades were fantastic here so he had the dedication. He ran on the cross country team. To be a full-time student and be able to juggle that with the demands of being an athlete. Time management is key, you have to set goals, and budget your time and delayed gratification and put some things off for the good of the team. He knew what he was trying to accomplish.”

Miranda had to go through a lengthy process of interviews and evaluations before he was admitted.

“The process required letters of recommendation from teachers and coaches,” Miranda wrote in the email. “Medical examinations with the Department of Defense (DoD), a series of interviews with congressmen and senators, and a fitness assessment administered by coach Powers.”

“Jim (Powers) was my PE teacher and got me in shape to take the fitness assessment, which he also administered, and has been fielding questions and interviewers for me since I got accepted.”

The U.S. Military Academy at West Point is located in New York. The academy was founded in 1802. It’s also the oldest service academy in all of the five branches. West Point helped produce two presidents, many generals, and over 70 servicemen and women who received the Medal of Honor.

Miranda plans on being apart of West Point athletics to continue his cross country and track career. He’s also planning on finding another sport for the winter.

“I know what’s coming when I get into the school and start training so I’m planning in going in fairly well prepared,” Miranda said.

Going to West Point has been a goal of his since he graduated high school.