JRNM 151 Students

The proposed tuition increase, first since 2014, evoked mixed reactions among students. The fee will go up from $116.98 to $134.04 per credit hour beginning the Summer semester, according to LCCC District Board of Directors.

The tuition increase is estimated to add 2.3 percent to the college’s $67.8 million operating budget, according to LCCC officials.

Even with this increase, LCCC’s tuition fee remains the fifth lowest among the 23 community and technical colleges in Ohio. To provide an affordable education, the college is offering many scholarships and is striving to reduce the cost of textbooks.

Timothy Hall, a second year Biology major, is not concerned about the tuition hike. Hall said he had been accepted at the University of Toledo, the University of Akron and Ohio University. He rejected all of those colleges to enroll at LCCC. The reason: it was worth the money.

Not only is the tuition low at LCCC, but class size also is optimal and diversity of age, race and income provide Hall with “increased exposure and a soft, safe place to learn from other students.”

James Johnson, sophomore in Early Childhood Education is saving thousands of dollars by transferring from CSU. He paid $4 for parking, three times the cost of tuition and a commute that had him wake up at 5:45 a.m. just to get a parking space and arrive on time to his 8:00 a.m. class. Johnson was given an extra $10,000 at CSU but even that was not enough to offset the other expenses, he said.

Jacob Kelley, a Computer Animation major, said the rate increase wouldn’t impact him. “I have Pell Grants and numerous scholarships, so I will just have to put more money in for next year’s tuition,” Kelley said.

Similar views were expressed by Paul Warkentien, a civil engineering major. “I am currently paying for my tuition out of my pocket, so with these increases I do not think that there is much of an impact on myself for paying for college,” Warkentien said.

Darius Tumblin, a Culinary Arts Student, also is not concerned about the fee hike. Tumblin said he received Financial Aid and hoped it would cover the new rate.

Another student, Jude Jon, said the “increase in tuition could be a great thing for campus life if the funds are used properly.” Jon, whose parents pay his tuition, said the extra money could be used “to buy more text books for the library, therefore saving students more money when they have to purchase their text books.”

However, many students are unaware of the proposed tuition hike. Jeremy Richard, an Electrical Engineering major, is one of them. But, the it won’t affect him because “I don’t pay my tuition, I have the GI Bill.”

Felicia Densmoore, a Social Work major, is not pleased with the increase when she was told about it.  “All my courses will be an extra $120 and I don’t have (the money) to toss around.” Densmoore doesn’t receive the benefits of the GI Bill or any other financial support, so she has to pay out of pocket.

Elsy Meza, an Early Childhood Education major, is paying for her tuition with student loans. “With the new tuition costs, I will probably have to take out more student loans to continue my education,” Meza complained.

Contributed by Abigail Doane, Ashley Meecha, Brianna Newton, David Park, Emma Roth, Jeffrey Braden and Marie Tobin, Makayla Tomzak