Mark Perez-Krywany

Sports Editor

Who would have figured that the Lorain County Community College men’s basketball team would start the season with a red hot 5-0 start.

According to Commodores’ Kevin Kelley after they defeated the University of Pittsburgh at Titusville 109-84, the head coach of the Commodores’ Marty Eggleston thought their record would be similar to what they currently have.

“In our first eight (games)… we should be at least 7-1 at the very worst.” Kelley (three points, five assist, six rebounds) said after the game. “We are at this point and we are right on track. We just have to kept the thing rolling.”

The game had a fast pace to it, which is the way LCCC likes to play. Both teams shot well over the NJCAA Division III average (60-65 field goal attempts per game).

“The tempo, it was fast in some spurts, especially in the first half,” said coach Eggleston. It was a little out of control for my liking so we are looking for controlled chaos and not chaotic chaos.”

The pace of play was dictated by how well each team executed their full-court press. Both teams combined for 41 turnovers.

“We practice that every day,” Eggleston said. “We should be able to do that in our sleep.”

The Commodores came on the court with a 14-2 run on the Panthers and never let go of the lead after that. At the end of the game, they all of the players on the LCCC team was able to contribute to the team’s victory. LCCC’s largest lead they had was with just over nine minutes remaining and they were winning by 30 points.

“We are all about playing for each other. That’s really the bottom line,” Eggleston said. “I get excited when these guys start seeing their brothers do play a more concise game, a smarter game, because at this level, the smartest team wins.”

They shot 3-13 from the 3-point line in the first half, but picked it up and shot 7-15 from 3-point range.

Miles Meredith (14 points), Justis Craig (11 points), Daniel Lott (14 points), Mike Rell (13 points), and Jovon Jones (10 points) recorded double-digit points. LCCC’s bench scored 55 points.

LCCC had 24 more rebound than the Panthers and some of the rebounds gave the Commodores extra possessions; giving them more opportunities to score. They registered 22 second chance points.

In the first half, Meredith was on the fast break and attempted a dunk, but was blocked by the rim. In the next few possessions, he found himself at the basket again, but this time he was able to throw it down.

“The first one, I thought I was going to make it, but I just came a little short.” Meredith said. “I told my team that I was going to make up for it and that is exactly what I did.”

The Commodores’ next game will be in their house against Westmoreland Community College (3-2) at 7:00 p.m.