Kennedy Tesar

Contributor

Many schools in the Lorain County school district offer the College Credit Plus program to high school and occasionally middle school students in the area. The CCP program allows for students to receive college credit before officially being college students. Some split their time between high school and college, while others are at LCCC on a daily basis.

Molly Ptacek, a student at Avon High School, splits her time between the two, managing one class at the high school each day and three classes on the LCCC campus: quantitative reasoning, chemistry in society, and government. “I wanted to get some of my college classes out of the way and be able to do it for free,” Ptacek said.

Many different types of students apply for and utilize the program, whether to get a jump start on their college education, be in a higher learning environment, or help to save money and time in the long run.

Emily Herner is a Teacher Exploration Education Student, a program that partners with Lorain County JVS and LCCC. She also divides her time between high school and college courses, as well as taking a CCP class offered at Avon High. Students can choose specific CCP courses to take that are provided in the high school environment if desired. Emily is applying her credits toward college and her major. She plans to use her CCP credits at an in-state school that accepts them. “Why not take advantage of the credits,” she says. “I plan on majoring in special education, so the material I learn in CCP classes will be helpful.”

Noah Radcliffe, also an Avon High School student, started the program through an engineering class at his high school and progressed to take courses at the college level. “I had to take an engineering course at the high school, then the next two years are taught at LCCC, so I became a CCP student that way.” Enrolled in the Project Lead the Way CIM class, Noah said he prefers the atmosphere of the college over the high school, “I feel like I have more freedom and options throughout my day.”

CCP students are a commonality on the Lorain County Community College Campus this school year. High school students fill the halls, taking advantage of their school’s partnership program. If the question is being asked, why start college while still in high school? This question and many others can be answered by the high school students passing by on the way to class each day.

CCP students maintain the workload of a college student, while often still involved in high school activities. Herner is a cheerleader, Radcliffe plays football, and Ptacek runs track in the spring. Each story and goals of CCP students are individualized.

LCCC works to provide a comfortable and helpful atmosphere for these students integrating into college life. Next time you walk the campus, think about the many high schoolers right alongside you that are working to achieve their dreams, too.