Kent Springborn Jr.

Staff Writer

“Buffy the Vampire Slayer” recently celebrated its 20 anniversary of first airing on television. Since I was only three-years-old when the show first aired, I didn’t get to watch it until the later seasons.

Going back and rewatching “Buffy” today has been interesting. There are definitely things I remember about the show and things that I don’t.

Even though I’m not a big fan of the vampire subgenre of horror, I have always enjoyed watching “Buffy.” This is primarily due to Joss Whedon’s writing and the cast. Sarah Michelle Gellar, Alyson Hannigan, Nicholas Brendon, Charisma Carpenter, Anthony Stewart Head, and other cast members all bring their characters to life.

It’s nice to see strong female leads in a supernatural drama. Sarah Michelle Gellar’s character, Buffy Summers, doesn’t rely on the male characters around her and is quite capable of taking care of herself.  The monsters that Buffy and her friends fight in each episode are metaphors for the real horrors that everyone must face when growing up.

With this show being 20 years old now, it’s hard not to wonder what all has changed in terms of social issues and high school life. Surprisingly, I feel that this show has managed to stay relevant even after so many years or at least, it manages to stay entertaining and enjoyable to watch.

While it has been off the show for almost 14 years now, it continued its story through comic books published by Dark Horse Comics. The most recent entry in the comic book continuation ended last year.

There has also been a recent influx of television series reboots and continuations years after their shows have ended. Personally, I don’t think “Buffy” is one of those shows that needs a reboot or revival and I don’t think it should get one either. The rebooting or reviving it would ruin the experience and legacy of such a phenomenal show.