Kent Springborn Jr.

Entertainment Editor

The show “Grimm” premiered on October 28, 2011, and just recently had its series finale on March 31, 2017. The basic premise of this show was Nick Burkhardt played by David Giuntoli, a Portland police detective, discovering he was descendent of the Brothers Grimm. His ancestry allowed him to see dangerous creatures who hide among normal humans. These creatures are known as “wesen,” which is the German word for creature.

When I first learned about “Grimm,” I was excited to find out how it would interpret the Brothers Grimm stories that I’ve always enjoyed. It was interesting to see how the show’s creators managed to weave in the source material into a gripping police drama.

The first season started off rather slow and took its time to establish its story, but once it did, I found myself engrossed in every episode on Friday nights. With every season, the show got better and started to develop an overarching story that spanned for more than just a single episode. For six seasons, this show has essentially been a staple for my Fridays.

Giuntoli, Russell Hornsby, Elizabeth Tulloch, Silas Weir Mitchell, Sasha Roiz, Reggie Lee, and later Bree Turner and Claire Coffee all brought life to their respective characters. Mitchell and Turner’s characters, Monroe and Rosalee, easily became two of my favorite characters of the show. My other favorite character, Theresa “Trubel” Rubel, came into the show later in the series as a recurring character played by Jacqueline Toboni.

“Grimm” managed to survive on Friday nights, which is quite a feat since a lot of shows are typically moved to Fridays to finish their runs. Every time that the show was reaching the end of its current season, there was a little bit of anxiety of whether it would get canceled or be graced with another season. Thankfully, it was renewed for another season five times.

At first, I was sad to learn that season six would be the final season, but the way the writers managed to wrap this show up helped make saying goodbye to it a little easier.

The final three episodes of the series were intense and full of action and drama. The series finale was especially dramatic and intense. I honestly couldn’t be happier with how the show ended. One of my favorite parts of the series finale was the character revelation of how Trubel was truly connected to Burkhardt.

“Grimm” will certainly be missed.