Olivia Moe, Managing Editor

Olivia Moe, Managing Editor

Olivia Moe

Managing Editor

So I had this idea to ask my editor if I could write one last article as a ‘goodbye’ to my time at the paper and college before I graduated and transferred to Cleveland State. When she said ‘yes’, there was a moment of excitement that I could do what a majority of journalists want to do; write what they want to write.

I use the term ‘moment’ because within that short amount of time, I realized ‘Wow, I have no idea what I am going to say’. How do you summarize a few volumes, several semesters, and a couple of years into one portion of what could take up a full issue of the paper?

I have been a part of The Collegian since the fall of 2013. I have been a contributor, sports writer (later Sports Editor), online editor, and now managing editor. Despite the titles beneath my name, I have covered many things around our campus. That is one of the best parts about being a journalist; you are rarely bored and you sometimes do not have to wait long for a story to show up. Like Forrest Gump’s mama said about life, journalism “was always like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get”.

I have covered nationally recognized sports teams, professors, clubs, organizations, events, and even a film premiere while at LCCC. If that is not a box of assorted chocolates, I do not know what is. Anyone who is part of their school newspaper knows what a lucky feeling that is.

I thought about writing a detailed account of what it was like to work for five different editors and how each of them impacted my life, and in turn, my writing. From my desk, I saw them grow and develop into some of the best people I have worked for. There were the best and the worst of times for all of us, but like any weird family (or ‘normal’ one), we braved through it together and came out on top.

I thought about giving words of advice to those in JRNM 151 about what to expect. Then again, this is the world of journalism, there is very little you can expect. I guess I would just say then to expect that you are one of the greatest assets to us staff. You may think you are not making a difference just yet, but believe me; you are so valuable it’s not even funny.

Also, please turn your stories in on time. Indulge that wonderful and sick thrill of your editor when they have your name pop up in their inbox.

I might have shared some words of wisdom to the incoming students at LCCC when they find this issue over the summer or next fall. You might want to be somewhere else, I know I did and still kind of want to, even when I am weeks from leaving this campus. Please, do not shake off this place. It took me until now to realize that, although I have been here a while, it was where I needed to be. Just keep your heads up, you’ll do fine in given time.

Also, take Don Busi or Kim Greenfield for any English class, Jarrett Pervola for Humanities, Dave Cotton for theater (Diane Papp, Scott Knowles and Jeremy Benjamin for labs), if you need to take a science course with someone I recommend Dr. Ruby Beil, and Aaron Weiss and Lisa Sheppard for math. Seriously, they are rockstars.

I then thought about those who will be graduating with me in May. Even though we are finishing up and there will only be a short amount of days (or cares) left to think about school work and class, take a deep breath and keep marching. As of print day we will be 18 days or so away from ‘freedom’ for a little while and although I know I will be spending my day with a mimosa from the Bourbon Street Barrel Room in Tremont and catching a Cleveland Indians game, I will have to begin to start my next chapter soon. It will be exciting and nerve wrecking, but I think like many of you, it will be worth it and incredibly amazing.

I know I am going to miss certain places and people. I know I am going to miss the banter between the guys at the grill at the cafeteria as they construct my turkey burger. I am going to miss the noises that the bookshelves in the library make when I am looking for a book and how easily amused I am by them. But to quote Bilbo Baggins “I think I am quite ready for another adventure,” and that means finding new ways to amuse myself. I think it is something all of us should do for ourselves, keep searching for what little things amuse us.

In closing, I think I will leave you all with a huge thank you for allowing me to pester you with questions and for reading my articles. I am also grateful to your responses (including only one piece of hate mail regarding my first editorial “Does Size Really Matter?”). The joke’s on them. I thought their response, like the head of the article, was funny.. Other than seeing your name in print, those responses make the efforts and lives of journalists complete.

Thank you.