Cody Grossman

Staff Writer

LCCC women's basketball player, Onyx Lopez.

LCCC women’s basketball player, Onyx Lopez.

Lorain County Community College’s women’s basketball player, Onyx Lopez has achieved something no other women’s basketball player has. Lopez broke the record for most points by a woman basketball player with 775 total points accumulated over the past two seasons.

The record was formerly held by Christa Wodarczyk, who played for the Commodores from 2009-2011. Wodarczyk scored 754 points during that time. Lopez broke the previous record by scoring 22 points against Cuyahoga Community College on Feb. 17 – the team’s last regular season game.

Lopez said she was shocked to find that she had broken the record. “I didn’t know until the Sinclair game,” Lopez said. “I mean of course I wanted to score 1000 points, but I feel a record is even better,” she said.

Going back to high school, Lopez faced difficulties. Her coach at Amherst High School told  her she would never make it on a varsity basketball team. From that point on, Lopez was determined to prove him wrong. She moved to Lorain and made their varsity team, only to tear her ACL her senior year.

Lopez thought her basketball career was done. Little did she know that she had plenty of fuel in the tank and would go on to set a scoring record. Lopez gave credit to her Lorain High School basketball coach, Mark Feldmann, who she said never gave up on her and made her a better player. Feldmann gave Lopez something that her other coaches wouldn’t give her – a chance.

“Setting the scoring record is a result of an outstanding work ethic,” said LCCC women’s basketball coach, Vince Granito. “She typically would be in the gym early to stretch, and stay after practice to get extra shooting in. In basketball it’s those extra little things you do that can make all the difference,” Granito continued. “Onyx was the closest thing I had to an assistant coach this season, and for a first year college coach that was extremely valuable. We would usually talk strategy and she would offer her opinions. I think she will make an outstanding coach some day, and in fact I have asked her to come back here after she is done with her playing career to help me. “[She’s a] great competitor,” Granito added.

Lopez plans to continue her basketball career at the next level. While she’s sad that her time at LCCC is up, she believes it gave her the experience she needed to move on.

“If I knew what I know now, I would say take it serious,” Lopez said to LCCC’s future basketball players. “Don’t hold back. [The National Junior College Athletic Association] is for players that want to play or move on. So don’t hold back.”