Tyler Mantin

JRNM 151 

With the college baseball season fast-approaching, Lorain County Community College’s team is hard at work preparing for the upcoming season. The Commodores finished last season with a record of 9-20, which head coach Bill Frawley hopes to improve this season. “This year I’d like to be above .500 and win our region come playoff time,” Frawley said. “Our offense should be a lot better, with many new additions to the team from all over the state. That’s the biggest improvement area for us this season, you have to have offense to win games,” Frawley added. With just six returning players from last year, the team will certainly have a new look.

One of those returning players is star pitcher Shane Derricotte. Last season Derricotte posted a 1.99 ERA and a 5-2 record, and looks to do better this season. “My personal goals for the year are to improve on my ERA from last year and win every game I pitch. I also want to be a leader on this team. We’re a young team with little college experience, but we’re very talented and will continue taking practice seriously and working hard,” Derricotte said. Head coach Frawley also praised his team’s maturity this year, saying they’re a close-knit group that care about each other and want to win for each other.

With all the excitement around the team this season, Frawley also hopes to see better fan turnout this year as well. “I’d love to see more fans out there,” Frawley said. “Anyone that comes can expect to see good college-level baseball and watch the Commodores compete against any opponent they’re matched up against.” Derricotte also thinks more LCCC students should come out to a game from time to time. “More fans would be great. We have a lot more talent this season so it should be more exciting.”

The Commodores open up their season March 20 at 12:00 p.m. at Edison CC, and open up at home March 25 at 2:00 p.m. against Westmoreland CCC at the Pipe Yard in Lorain.