Cody Grossman

Staff Writer


The Lorain County Community College Men’s basketball team took on Columbus State on Feb. 7 in an instant classic of a game but failed to take the victory by falling 76-72.

The game started off with Kwevon Corn hitting the first shot of the game. Along with him was Kevin Jenkins who was key in the first half for the Commodores. Grabbing nearly every rebound and taking advantage of second chance points. It was a back and forth game, both teams trading baskets. However, a Matt Wysocki block shifted the defensive tempo in the favor of LCCC.

Columbus State went on a small run and regained the lead but T’Andre Perkins gave the Commodores the lead with back to back driving baskets. Perkins tied the game back up and Jenkins gave them the lead. Perkins displayed strong play in every sense of the word.

Perkins bullied his way to the basket, no man on the court could stop him. Also playing well for the Commodores was Wesley Harris. Harris was in the passing lanes, stealing pass after pass. Along with displaying great outlet passes to a wide open Jenkins. Jenkins also had a big time block towards the end of the half to give LCCC the advantage. The Commodores went into the half up, 32-28.

Ouddi Hamdan started the second half off with a three point bomb sparking the Commodores on both sides of the ball. Harris picked up a couple more steals and turned them into easy lay-ups. Whatever shot didn’t fall for the Commodores, Jenkins was there to clean it up. Jenkins and Harris ran the offense to perfection, along with Harris running the fastbreak with ease. Harris’ speed could not be matched by Columbus State, he got to the basket almost too easy. Matthew Watkins also displayed great offense and Perkins showed off some more of his bruising offense. Commodores were in control at the midway point of the second half.

Unfortunately for LCCC that would change. Columbus State would come back and retake the lead with six minutes left in the game. The duo of Jenkins and Harris once again brought the Commodores back into the game. The lead changed back and forth several times in the next couple minutes of the game. Columbus State would take an eight point lead, only to be matched by an and-one from Harris. Bringing the game to within 5 with 51 seconds left in the game. Harris then stole the ball and Jenkins finished it off to bring the lead of Columbus State to three. Perkins stole the ball with 22.4 seconds left but Columbus State got the ball back and hit a big three to give themselves a 3 point lead.

Corn and Perkins both missed the game tying three to send the game into overtime. The Commodores were forced to foul in hopes of a missed free throw. They got the ball back with 3.1 seconds left but were unable to get a good shot off. The Commodores lost 76-72.

Second year player Matt Wysocki gave his thoughts on the game, “We had too many lapses. And we couldn’t get any foul calls in either half. We played and everything, but we had too many lapses once again and that’s what killed us.”

Matthew Watkins added “Today was a somewhat frustrating game for us, not because of the loss, but how we lost. I know a lot of our guys including myself felt like we missed a lot of shots and lay ups and that adds up. Defensively we got stops and held them to the point total we wanted, but our execution was just a little spotty at times in the second half. We did a lot of good things and we’re getting better as a team, however we all feel like today should have been a win for us.”   

The Commodores next home game is Feb. 13 against Sinclair Community College.