Keith Reynolds | The Collegian

Keith Reynolds | The Collegian

Keith Reynolds
Managing Editor

Keith Brown, director of Campus Security, plans to initiate a number of new innovations at Lorain County Community College in his new post as interim Human Resources Office director.

“I want to try to integrate the technology we have. We want to try to automate some of the processes for Peoplesoft [software currently used by LCCC staff and students for human resources and enrollment] and just make it less labor and paper intensive.”

With the retirement of Human Resources Office Director Sydney Lancaster this past December, Keith Brown, director of Campus Security, has been appointed to the position of interim director.

The move seemed like a natural progression to Brown.

“I was just interested in it. I had done a few investigations on the employee side, the personnel side, and I liked it,” he said. “I had been in security for 15 years, so it was time for me to seek a new challenge.”

With this new position comes an entirely different host of responsibilities that he must undertake.

“My main responsibility is to provide direction and guidance for the Human Resources Office, Brown explained. “Overseeing the employment, hiring process, benefits, and worker’s compensation; everything that goes with Human Resources. In addition to that, I oversee [Campus] Security.”

With the transferring of Brown to the Human Resources Office, Campus Security has undergone changes as well. Ken Collins, 16-year Campus Security officer a LCCC, has been named manager while David Hatcher, 15-year veteran of Campus Security has moved into the newly-created lead officer position.

This restructuring allows Brown to share the duties and management of Campus Security while still maintaining and remaining dedicated to his role as Human Resources Office director.

“Since we have a manager, I don’t have to be so consumed with the day-to-day operations. If something critical happens, that’s when I’ll get involved with security. [But] my main responsibility is Human Resources.”

As director, he hopes to bring new innovations to the Human Resources Office.

“I want to try to integrate the technology we have. We want to try to automate some of the processes for Peoplesoft [the software used by LCCC staff and students] and just make it less labor and paper intensive.”

Brown sees this new job as a valuable step in his life and career.

“Just thinking about my career long term, I thought that this would offer me a different challenge and something that I would have to learn,” he said. “And that’s what I like about this…it’s vastly different from [working in] security. It affords me the opportunity to grow and develop personally as well as professionally.”