Community members line up as volunteers serve up  full course Thanksgiving Feast. Karl Schneider | The Collegian

Community members line up as volunteers serve up full course Thanksgiving Feast. Karl Schneider | The Collegian

Alex Delaney-Gesing
Assistant Editor

For more than 25 years, Lorain County Community College has held a Thanksgiving dinner for those in the community. Residents who may not be able to sit down to a proper meal on the Thanksgiving holiday are able to enjoy a free meal in the company of others.

“I came to this dinner to get out of my place, said Lorain resident Jack Tisler, a first-year attendee of the event. “I don’t like being alone [and here] it’s a sense of community with people sharing meals so you’re not alone.”

On Nov. 26 from 5 to 7 p.m., residents of Lorain County were invited to a Thanksgiving meal hosted by LCCC’s Student Life and Dining Services in the Spitzer Conference Center Grand Room.

Volunteers from the college and nearby community members served hundreds of guests a dinner with all the fixings. Traditional dishes like sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce, salad, gravy, ham,and the standard turkey were prepared by LCCC culinary students under the direction of Executive Chef Eric Petrus.

“I feel like this is a great thing to do,” said Ashley Pepsin, an LCCC culinary student who volunteered for the event. “This wasn’t required for the [culinary] program, but I thought it would be nice to help out and be involved in this community project.”

Steve Kaelin, LCCC’s The Marketplace sous chef, praised the volunteer workers on their dedication to make the meal as enjoyable for others as they could.

“It’s wonderful for all of the [LCCC] workers to come together tonight,” he said.

Leigha Donaghue, a junior at Elyria Catholic High School, has volunteered to serve at the dinner for the past three years.

“I volunteer because I feel that helping the less fortunate in the community is a good thing to do,” she said.

With whipped cream-topped pumpkin pie to round out the meal and music provided by LCCC’s Duck Radio, the annual dinner was once again a success.

“I don’t really have a Thanksgiving; this is it,” said Sherri Page, a Lorain resident. “It’s not Thanksgiving without a roomful of people, so this is great, it’s beautiful.”