Eric Close
JRNM 151 student

Alex Delaney-Gesing | The Collegian

Alex Delaney-Gesing | The Collegian

“LCCC Flips For United Way,” a tagline that’s been posted on flyers around Lorain County Community College’s campus for weeks and talked about amongst students took place Sept. 25 in the College Commons.

With the kick off event, LCCC’s campaign with United Way will run through Nov. 14. United Way is a national system of volunteers, contributors, and local charities helping people in their own communities officially began. Students, staff and faculty gathered for events that included free breakfast, dancing, crafts and raffles.

“[the event brings] …great awareness to a great cause,” said Cedric Brown, an attendee of the event.  Additionally, students and staff were given the opportunity to donate money in support of United Way. Free health screenings were also provided.

Even early college student, Gabe, says, “I would’ve donated if I had money with me, but I’m definitely donating my time and helping out.”

Whitney Hougland from Enrollment, Financial and Career Services worked the event as a food-runner. Given the opportunity, “[she would] definitely participate in future events.”

LCCC staff member, Ben Toth,another member of the community, has donated to consecutively donated both his time, at a community theater, and money to United Way his four years at LCCC.

Ryan Aroney, United Way’s communication advisor with LCCC says that LCCC is a hub for the community and that the college is a great partner for United Way, bringing the community together.