By Brenna Shippy
Staff Writer

Ashley Blasko performs a solo act at the College Commons for the Spring Fling event. Blasko has been writing music since she was 16 years old.

The alluring voice of a female musician stopped students on their way to class in the early afternoon. The blonde hair, fair-skinned Wellington student, dressed in casual jeans, a white tank, and a grey cardigan sat on stage in the College Commons, strumming her acoustic guitar as her soft voice carried up the stairs. Ashley Blasko, majoring in psychology was serenading students April 23 for Spring Fling week.

Blasko’s voice left me feeling zen and inspired.  The songs she played were simple, a bit more melancholy than upbeat. She brought along a booklet with acoustic versions of some of her favorite Indie and mainstream artists like Bon Iver, Passenger, and Awolnation to name a few.

“I prefer the Indie acoustic genre, but I’ve been getting into electric,” said Blasko, “Indie music has a unique sound that I can relate to.” Though Blasko has been writing her own music since the age of sixteen, those songs weren’t part of her performance in the College Commons because her band, The Willow Trees, weren’t able to be apart of the event.

Blasko has been playing her acoustic guitar since she was fourteen and has been singing since she was four. A powerful influence in her love of music comes from her dad.

“My dad has been in rock bands and has played since he was twelve,” said Blasko, “I grew up listening to him.”

Her entire family are musicians. Blasko mentions that her older sister, besides playing the piano, is presently getting involved with Electronic Dance Music (EDM).

By the middle of her third song ‘Say Something I’m giving Up on You’, her audience grew as more people gathered to listen. Between her selections, her audience applauded their approval. She giggled in response, or she would chat with the the audience asking how everyone was doing.

Some student supporters, Stephen Seiber and Elizabeth Oestreicher, had seen Blasko’s videos on her facebook page and wanted to hear her live.

“She’s amazing,” Seiber said. Oestreicher echoed the same feelings,“I’ve only known her this semester. She sits at my table in Quantitating Methods class,” adding, “I really enjoy her music.”

Between studying and her work schedule, Blasko practices music whenever she gets the time, “Between those times, I’m jamming.” Even though she’s majoring in psychology, she would love to see where her music takes her. “Some people ask me to give lessons,” said Blasko, “But I don’t think I’m good enough yet.”

Judging from the student’s reaction to Blasko’s performance, many will be looking for her name in the future.