Olivia Moe
Staff WriterDSC_1154(1)

Lorain County Community College’s Varsity Volleyball team set a school record of 28 wins in their 2013 season and ranked ninth in District G Regional NJCAA DIII.

“It was a great accomplishment,” Hannah Pinkie said. Pinkie is the outside hitter and one of the team captains who spent her final season alongside fellow captain Katarina Kovach.

“Although our goal really wasn’t to beat a record but to play our best and have fun doing it, we did. When we set the new school record, it was like icing on the cake,” Pinkie said.

Pinkie also recollects about the match against Schoolcraft at Lakeland Community College’s Shannon McBride tournament in Sept. of last year which was the first time that LCCC beat Schoolcraft with final scores of 20-25, 25-18, 15-8.

“It’s definitely a match I won’t forget. I believe it was our best game ever played as a team,” Pinkie said.

Pinkie ended the season with 72/101 with 47 kills in hitting, 35/76 with 15 digs in passing and 38/41 with 5 aces in serving at regionals.

“I gained continued improvement of my volleyball skills and became more confident in my abilities as a player and a leader,” Pinkie added, who plans to continue playing when she transfers to four year college and major in business with a minor in art.

The team became close during their season and showed intensity, energy, great movement, tons of great passes, sets, and hits on the court as well as off the court too.

“When we set a new record it was quite awesome. It felt like a new coming for the volleyball program,” said Kara Szabo, who plays middle position for the team.

“We brought life back to it and really showed other girls and the incoming girls that they can carry on their volleyball careers into college and have it be worth something,” Szabo said.

Szabo, who plans on majoring in criminal justice, plans to return in the fall and continue her love for the sport.

“I gained a new feel for the sport. I thought I loved it before but this season showed me that I truly can have fun while playing,” she said.

Head Coach Ted Whitsel will be joining the team in the 2014 season after coaching high school volleyball for 20 years, 14 years as the head coach at Brookside, three years as the JV coach at Keystone, and three years as the JV coach at Cleveland Heights.

The goal for the upcoming season is to improve and compete for the conference championship.

“I have attended many matches in the last couple seasons and have seen the team grow each and every year. With the talent in the area and the opportunity that LCCC provides the student athletes, I want to be part of this continued growth and success,” Whitsel said. “Being so close to going to nationals last year, our goal will be to finish first at regionals so that we can go to and represent LCCC at the National Championship.”

LCCC Athletic Director Kathryn Marquard is looking forward to the 2014 fall season with young team coming back stronger than before.

“The team is motivated to do well for nationals this year. We are also excited for the new coach and another strong season,” Marquard said.

On April 25 there will be a Volleyball Recruit Day from 6-8 p.m. in the Ewing Center Main Gym for prospective student-athletes interested in playing intercollegiate volleyball. For any questions contact Coach Ted Whitsel at twhitsel@lorainccc.edu or at 440-365-5222 ext. 8326.