Aaron Lazar
Contributor/JRNM 223 student

The opening reception for the 2014 Juried Student Art Show took place on April 4 in the Beth K. Stocker Art Gallery. Entries were submitted from Lorain County Community College students who are currently, or have in the last year, enrolled in an art class at the college. Artwork appearing in the show was selected by a panel of three jurors from Youngstown State University. Attendees were treated to a large selection of art forms throughout the gallery from paintings and drawings to ceramics and sculptures. The reception, which included an award ceremony, attracted a steady flow of students, faculty, family, and friends interested in seeing the entries. A number of awards were handed out to deserving students, with one talented student earning the most sought after faculty award.
Winner of this year’s faculty award was LCCC student, Michael Szewczyk. Szewczyk was awarded for his four piece collection entered into the show which included 2D design and several drawings. More specifically, his works included a magazine image collage, two drawings of posing girls, and a drawing of a trash can lid. “I try to just make a lot of lines and I just use the ones that I like,” stated Szewczyk while explaining his drawing technique. “The [lines] in there that aren’t really that important, I just keep going with them. That’s why it gets all jagged and weird.” And what about the trash can lid drawing entitled Trashscape? “It was supposed to be a landscape but I drew a garbage can lid. I kind of broke the rules for the actual assignment, so I didn’t get a really good grade on it, but I thought it’d be good for the show and surprisingly it was,” explained Szewczyk.
The exhibition will remain open for all to enjoy through Friday, April 18. The Beth K. Stocker Art Gallery is located on the second floor of the Stocker Center. Gallery hours are 10:30am – 2:30pm, Monday through Friday. According to Nancy Halbrooks, Associate Professor and Art Department Coordinator, there will be one more student art show this semester. “The next student art show is the Portfolio Show, where the current students will be presenting their portfolios in an exhibition. The Portfolio Show in the Beth K. Stocker Gallery opens with a reception for the artists (public welcome) on the 25 of April at 4:30pm to 7:30pm. This show ends on May 10.” All are encouraged to check out the current and upcoming show and to witness the talented art produced by emerging artists at the college.