Sonal Dhiman
Staff Writer

Smartly dressed, resume in hand and a confident stride – that’s all that it took for students and community members to score interviews and callbacks at the LCCC Career Fair.

The Career Fair, an annual event hosted by the Career Services along with Ohio Means Jobs and Lorain County Joint Vocational School (JVS), saw more than 110 employers who helped link more than 600 job seekers to prospective full and part-time careers within and outside Lorain county.

Erin Corwin, work-based learning coordinator with LCCC’s Career Services, said, “The planning for Career Fair begins in December with a core team of 10 people, headed by Mary Welch.” The event is open to the community, especially because it is supported by Ohio Means Jobs and Lorain JVS. “We have seen a rising trend in hiring, especially in hiring interns. This is a sign that the economy is picking up and if you are ready to work, then there is a job waiting for you,” Corwin continued.

Two brothers from Lorain, Devin and Brandon Hassen, sharply dressed in their suits, came looking for their first jobs at the Career Fair. Brandon said, “I am a computer-science engineering major from the university partnership program with University of Toledo and I have an associate’s degree with computer maintenance networking from LCCC. This is my first Career Fair ever and I am excited to know what is out there for me.”

Devin holds a bachelors degree in psychology from the university partnership with Cleveland State University. “This is the perfect opportunity for me to see how I can put my education to use, within the community. I am a bit nervous and excited about the fair, I hear there are on-the-spot interviews,” he said.

Steven Thomas, a mechanical engineer, who has held a job for several years at Ford, came to look for other career options, for himself and his son. He said, “In the first 20 years of my career companies relied on building relationships and in the last years things took a u-turn and companies were forced to look out for themselves. But now things are getting back to relying to building long-term relationships.”

Steven Heugel, customer services and regional training representative at Ohio Means Jobs, said, “We support LCCC in this endeavor because it is important to couple education with job readiness. LCCC has great facilities, a good buy-in from the community and is accessible to everyone. We value networking with the community and help them overcome the challenges of the globally changing workforce.”

The career fair saw a huge turnout from across the community, with 50 VIPs who were admitted a half hour earlier than the rest. The employers offered jobs from the fields of manufacturing, sales, healthcare and retail industries.