By Karl Schneider
Managing Editor

For the first time ever, the NAACP Elyria chapter has awarded the Non-Traditional Scholarship and Alice Potts Wingard award. LCCC’s President of Student Senate, Kionna McIntosh won the award during the 58th NAACP Freedom Fund Celebration.

“I was overwhelmingly surprised and humbled when I found out,” said McIntosh. Two of Wingard’s daughters were at the ceremony on Oct. 6 to present the scholarship and award to McIntosh. Wingard’s daughters had decided to create the scholarship and award in a tribute to the many achievements of Wingard.

Kionna McIntosh / submitted photo

McIntosh is currently pursuing her bachelor’s degree in Business Admin Management with hopes of obtaining her master’s in the same. “I’m looking to further uplift the community by becoming an entrepreneur,” said McIntosh. “I have found so many different passions here at LCCC that I would not have discovered in my previous corporate experiences,” said McIntosh.

As a single mother, student and representative at LCCC, McIntosh knows how important good leadership is.  When an award or accolade is presented to McIntosh, “It shows how important you can impact others from your actions,” said McIntosh, “Any time I receive any type of accolades, it only empowers me to uphold these responsibilities.”

The NAACP celebration also saw traditional students and community service volunteers awarded. Six community representatives were presented with Community Service Awards. Among the recipients were Eddie Edwards, Lorain’s 5th Ward Councilman.

The traditional student awards went to Maria Wilson and Angel Campbell, both 2012 graduates of Elyria High School