By Valerie Morris
Editor

On Election Day Nov. 6, journalism students and Collegian staffers took to the polls to get responses from voters for an article to be submitted to the Morning Journal. Students covered election results from voters in locations including Avon, Sheffield, Elyria, Lorain and Grafton.

Photojournalism major Drew Scofield took pictures at different polling locations, and saw two of his photos published in the Morning Journal. According to Scofield, it was ‘exciting’ to see his work run in the paper.

“I thought it would be a great opportunity to expand my portfolio as a journalism student,” said Scofield. He was one student who previously covered the March primary elections for the Morning Journal, and had one of his photos from that election published at the time.

Summer Peng Interviews Romney supporter David Freeman outside the Spitzer Center polling station. Drew Scofield / The Collegian

Starr D’Avril, who is working on her Associate of Technical Studies and a journalism certificate, covered reactions at the Midview Baptist Church in Elyria Township. She took a different approach than others for her interviews.

“Instead of interviewing the voters, I asked the volunteers: the people working the polls,” said D’Avril. “I was happy it was included in the story. I think it’s the mindset I have as a reporter. I want to know what people are thinking.”

D’Avril and the other students who wrote the story compiled the interviews they gathered into one full story they gave to Clifford Anthony, journalism professor and adviser to The Collegian. He made any needed adjustments to the story and sent it to The Morning Journal.

The stories can be read on The Morning Journal online. The article can be read at http://morningjournal.com/articles/2012/11/07/news/doc5099e7539003d705098730.txt