By Mike McFarland
Staff Writer

Military veteran, mother of one and wife of Gary, Meletha Glover was named Student of the Year on April 25 at the Student Life Honors and Awards dinner. “I was so excited, it is such an honor,” she said. Glover, the second youngest of 11 children, came to LCCC in 2010 after retiring from the U.S. Navy. This is her third semester as a student worker, currently a staff assistant for the Office for Special Needs Services (OSNS). “After serving our country I decided it was time to pursue my long time goal of earning a degree. This coming May, that dream will come to fruition,” said Glover.

Student of the Year, Meletha Glover never stops her work or schooling. Mike McFarland|The Collegian

Understanding the challenges that non-traditional students face, Glover values her peers as much as she values those that have helped guide her career in Human Resources Management.

“After my mother passed away, my grandmother took custody of my siblings and I. She taught me to be true to myself and to keep strong values. She was a very giving person and that trait was passed on to me,”  said a coy Glover. Her co-workers say she is diligent, outstanding, and excels in her academics. “She is a person with an immense character,” said Jody Haserodt, interim director for OSNS.  “Though she has a full schedule, she takes time out of her busy schedule to help others become successful. One of her great joys is encouraging others who may be going through difficult times,” Haserodt said.

After graduation, Glover plans to attend the University Partnership Kent State for a bachelors in Business Management. She plans to continue to volunteer in her church and the community. “Meletha Glover models the role of student excellence. She is committed to her academic success, but is also dedicated to maximizing her leadership responsibilities in her church and community, job in OSNS, and role as a veteran liaison on campus,” said Linda Telzrow, learning specialist, OSNS.